The Birth of DSC Performance, our story
Updated: Jul 6, 2019
In 2002 DSC (Dean Sports Consultants) opened its doors. First working with only a few up and coming surfers. As these athletes showed early success a full performance-training program for surfers began to take shape. Founder and owner Kevyn Dean, MSPT, OCS drew upon his physical therapy background in helping surfers to reach their potential. The core beliefs, which DSC was built on are:
• Character Counts: Better people make more consistent and better performers. Who you are outside of the water affects how you perform in the water.
• Performance through Purpose: Follow a clinical approach. To insure optimal performance every component of the program must have a purpose: Evaluation of the athlete to identify (diagnose) strengths and weaknesses. Setting goals for each athlete to achieve (a functional outcome to target). Development of a training protocol (treatment) to move the athlete toward their specific goals. Constant and consistent monitoring of each individual (re-evaluation) to insure they are on the path to maximum improvement.
• Watch your athletes when it matters: To understand how your athletes perform, watch them consistently while they are performing. It isn’t enough to evaluate them in the clinic/gym. Only through consistently watching an athletes’ game time execution are you able to design an appropriate training/treatment protocol.
• Learn from the best: To be the best, you have to learn from those that know more than you in any given area. Other Doctors, Physical therapists, trainers, coaches, and athletes are great resources. Standing on the shoulders of taller men gives one a distinct advantage.
• Know what you can control and what you can’t: It is best to identify all of the variables involved than decide which things you can control, and which ones you can’t. Work hard on molding the controllable ones to your will. In doing this the variables outside of one’s control become less impactful.
• As a leader, never stop growing: Continually improving yourself gives you the opportunity to give the best to your athletes. In this you help them succeed in all areas, both inside and outside of their chosen sport. In the end, your continued growth opens the door to their success.
It is these core beliefs that have made DSC Performance a formidable company that continues to be a leader in performance training. Utilizing the same beliefs written above, Kevyn Dean combined forces with Kurt Soria. Together they bring the same professional, clinical, and cutting-edge training techniques to building better athletes; from football players to Surfers, from soccer players to golfers, to those wishing to lead a more active and healthy life.
These are the tenants that launched DSC and DSC Performance. Today, DSC remains the best and most comprehensive surf-training program of its kind while DSC Performance is leading the way for those wishing to participate in a healthy lifestyle.